- Jeffrey Becker, “A Starcruiser for Space Force: Thinking Through the Imminent Transformation of Spacepower,” War on the Rocks, May 19, 2021.
- Joseph Micallef, “The Roots, Tactics and Consequences of New Generation Warfare,” Military.com, August 2, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Can Self-Government Survive the Next Convulsion?,” American Purpose, June 18, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Dr. Strangelove’s New Passion: Precision-Guided Mayhem,” American Purpose, March 17, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Thinking about the Next Arms Race,” Nonproliferation Policy Education Center. Lecture notes, updated July 9, 2020.
- Henry D. Sokolski, Underestimated: Our Not So Peaceful Nuclear Future, Second Edition (Arlington, VA: Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, 2017).
The Future of Conflict
- Francis Fukuyama, “The End of History?” The National Interest, Summer 1989.
- Francis Fukuyama, “Huntington’s Legacy,” The American Interest, August 27, 2018.
- Samuel Huntington, “The Clash of Civilizations?” Foreign Affairs, Summer 1993.
- Henry Sokolski, “Hiroshima at 75: A Peek into Our Nuclear Future,” The American Purpose, August 5, 2020.
- Jim Thomas, “A Blueprint for Rebuilding America’s Military After the Coronavirus,” The National Interest, March 28, 2020.
North Africa and the Middle East
- Henri J. Barkey, “Turkey’s Perspectives on Nuclear Weapons and Disarmament,” in Unblocking the Road to Zero: Turkey, Japan, and Brazil, ed. Barry Blechman (Washington, DC: Stimson Center, May 2009), 67-81.
- Richard L. Russell, “Off and Running: The Middle East Nuclear Arms Race,” Joint Forces Quarterly 58, (3rd quarter 2010): 94-99.
- Bruno Tertrais, “Alternative Proliferation Futures for North Africa,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 205-238.
- Mansoor Ahmed, “Addressing South Asia’s Fissile Material Conundrum,” Off Ramps Initiative, The Stimson Center, February 20, 2018.
- Frank Von Hippel, “Plutonium, Proliferation and Radioactive-Waste Politics,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 111-140.
- Commander Muhammad Azam Khan, “India’s Cold Start Is Too Hot,” Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute 137, no.3 (March 2011): 42-47.
- Jacob Kipp, “Asian Drivers of Russian Nuclear Force Posture,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 45-81.
- Michael Mazza and Dan Blumenthal, “China’s Strategic Forces in the 21st Century: The People’s Liberation Army’s Changing Nuclear Doctrine and Force Structure,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 83-109.
- Henry Sokolski and Mike Mazza, “China’s Nuclear Arms Are a Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery,” Foreign Policy, March 13, 2020.
- Henry Sokolski, ed. How Dark Might East Asia’s Nuclear Future Be? (Working Paper 1601, Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, September 2016).
- Henry Sokolski, “Strategic Deterrence: Its Future if the Bomb Spreads,” video of lecture at the Mitchell Institute, October 22, 2020.
- Hans Rühle, “Nuclear Proliferation in Latin America: Is Brazil Developing the Bomb?” Spiegel Online International, May 7, 2010.
- Paul D. Taylor, “Why Does Brazil Need Nuclear Submarines?” Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute 135, no. 6 (June 2009).
Future Military Strategies in a Proliferated World
- Richard K. Betts, “The Lost Logic of Deterrence,” Foreign Affairs 92, no. 2 (March/April 2013).
- Therese Delpech, Nuclear Deterrence in the 21st Century: Lessons from the Cold War for a New Era of Strategic Piracy (monograph, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, 2012).
- Thomas Donnelly, “Bad Options: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Live with Loose Nukes,” in Pakistan’s Nuclear Future: Worries Beyond War, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2008), 347-368.
- Mark Gunzinger and Bryan Clark, Maintaining the U.S. Military’s Advantage in Precision Strike, Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, 2015.
- Jeff Kueter, “Missile Defense and Arms Control,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski(Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 425-475.
- Clark Murdock et al., “Project Atom: A Competitive Strategies Approach to Defining U.S. Nuclear Strategy and Posture for 2025-2050,” CSIS Reports, Center for Strategic & International Studies, May 2015.
- R. Jeffrey Smith, “Cautious Shift in Nuclear Arms,” Center for Public Integrity, June 20, 2013.
- R. Jeffrey Smith, “Obama Administration Embraces Major Nuclear Weapons Cuts,” Center for Public Integrity, February 8, 2013.
Possible Arms Control and Nonproliferation Efforts
- David Andre, “Competitive Strategies against Proliferation?” in Fighting Proliferation: New Concerns for the Nineties, ed. Henry Sokolski (Maxwell Air Force Base, AL: Air University Press, 1996), 257-276.
- Brian Chow and Albert Wohlstetter, “Arms Control that Could Work.” Wall Street Journal, July 17, 1985, in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 501-505.
- Deep Cuts Commission, “Preparing for Deep Cuts: Options for Enhancing Euro-Atlantic and International Security,” First Report of the Deep Cuts Commission (Hamburg: Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy, University of Hamburg, April 2014).
- Robert J. Einhorn, “Controlling Fissile Materials and Ending Nuclear Testing” (paper presented at the International Conference on Nuclear Disarmament, “Achieving the Vision of a World Free of Nuclear Weapons,” Oslo, Norway, February 26-27, 2008).
- Harold A. Feiveson, Alexander Glaser, Zia Mian, and Frank N. von Hippel, Unmaking the Bomb: A Fissile Material Approach to Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2014).
- Christopher A. Ford, “Five Plus Three: How to Have a Meaningful and Helpful Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty,” Arms Control Today 39, no. 3 (March 2009).
- Victor Gilinsky and Henry Sokolski, “Serious Rules for Nuclear Power without Proliferation,” in Moving Beyond Pretense: Nuclear Power and Nonproliferation, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2013), 457-499.
- Thomas W. Graham, “Nuclear Weapons Stability or Anarchy in the 21st Century: China, India and Pakistan,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 261-308.
- Hans M. Kristensen, “Will Trump Be Another Republican Nuclear Weapons Disarmer?” Federation of American Scientists, Strategic Security (Blog), November 9, 2016.
- George P. Schultz, William J. Perry, Henry Kissinger, and Sam Nunn, “Towards a Nuclear-Free World,” Wall Street Journal, January 15, 2008.
- Henry Sokolski, “Controlling the Further Spread of Nuclear Weapons” (working paper, Council on Foreign Relations, April 2010).
- White House Press Office, “Remarks by President Barack Obama,” Hradcany Square, Prague, Czech Republic, April 5, 2009.
Also see the video of President Obama’s remarks and his Berlin Speech given June 19, 2013.
- Albert Wohlstetter, “Nuclear Triggers and Safety Catches, the ‘FSU’ and the ‘FSRs’” in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 374-377.
- Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, “On Arms Control: What We Should Look for in an Arms Agreement,” in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 472-500.