- Jeffrey Becker, “A Starcruiser for Space Force: Thinking Through the Imminent Transformation of Spacepower,” War on the Rocks, May 19, 2021.
- Joseph Micallef, “The Roots, Tactics and Consequences of New Generation Warfare,” Military.com, August 2, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Can Self-Government Survive the Next Convulsion?” American Purpose, June 18, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Dr. Strangelove’s New Passion: Precision-Guided Mayhem,” American Purpose, March 17, 2021.
- Henry Sokolski, “Thinking about the Next Arms Race,” Nonproliferation Policy Education Center. Lecture notes, updated July 9, 2020.
- Henry D. Sokolski, Underestimated: Our Not So Peaceful Nuclear Future, Second Edition (Arlington, VA: Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, 2017).
The Future of Conflict
- Francis Fukuyama, “The End of History?” The National Interest, Summer 1989.
- Francis Fukuyama, “Huntington’s Legacy,” The American Interest, August 27, 2018.
- Samuel Huntington, “The Clash of Civilizations?” Foreign Affairs, Summer 1993.
- Henry Sokolski, “Hiroshima at 75: A Peek into Our Nuclear Future,” The American Purpose, August 5, 2020.
- Jim Thomas, “A Blueprint for Rebuilding America’s Military After the Coronavirus,” The National Interest, March 28, 2020.
North Africa and the Middle East
- Henri J. Barkey, “Turkey’s Perspectives on Nuclear Weapons and Disarmament,” in Unblocking the Road to Zero: Turkey, Japan, and Brazil, ed. Barry Blechman (Washington, DC: Stimson Center, May 2009), 67-81.
- Richard L. Russell, “Off and Running: The Middle East Nuclear Arms Race,” Joint Forces Quarterly 58, (3rdquarter 2010): 94-99.
- Bruno Tertrais, “Alternative Proliferation Futures for North Africa,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 205-238.
- Mansoor Ahmed, “Addressing South Asia’s Fissile Material Conundrum,” Off Ramps Initiative, The Stimson Center, February 20, 2018.
- Frank Von Hippel, “Plutonium, Proliferation and Radioactive-Waste Politics,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 111-140.
- Commander Muhammad Azam Khan, “India’s Cold Start Is Too Hot,” Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute 137, no.3 (March 2011): 42-47.
- Jacob Kipp, “Asian Drivers of Russian Nuclear Force Posture,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 45-81.
- Michael Mazza and Dan Blumenthal, “China’s Strategic Forces in the 21st Century: The People’s Liberation Army’s Changing Nuclear Doctrine and Force Structure,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 83-109.
- Henry Sokolski and Mike Mazza, “China’s Nuclear Arms Are a Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery,” Foreign Policy, March 13, 2020.
- Henry Sokolski, ed. How Dark Might East Asia’s Nuclear Future Be? (Working Paper 1601, Nonproliferation Policy Education Center, September 2016).
- Henry Sokolski, “Strategic Deterrence: Its Future if the Bomb Spreads,” video of lecture at the Mitchell Institute, October 22, 2020.
- Hans Rühle, “Nuclear Proliferation in Latin America: Is Brazil Developing the Bomb?” Spiegel Online International, May 7, 2010.
- Paul D. Taylor, “Why Does Brazil Need Nuclear Submarines?” Proceedings of the U.S. Naval Institute 135, no. 6 (June 2009).
Future Military Strategies in a Proliferated World
- Richard K. Betts, “The Lost Logic of Deterrence,” Foreign Affairs 92, no. 2 (March/April 2013).
- Therese Delpech, Nuclear Deterrence in the 21st Century: Lessons from the Cold War for a New Era of Strategic Piracy (monograph, RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, 2012).
- Thomas Donnelly, “Bad Options: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Live with Loose Nukes,” in Pakistan’s Nuclear Future: Worries Beyond War, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2008), 347-368.
- Mark Gunzinger and Bryan Clark, Maintaining the U.S. Military’s Advantage in Precision Strike, Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, 2015.
- Jeff Kueter, “Missile Defense and Arms Control,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 425-475.
- Clark Murdock et al., “Project Atom: A Competitive Strategies Approach to Defining U.S. Nuclear Strategy and Posture for 2025-2050,” CSIS Reports, Center for Strategic & International Studies, May 2015.
- R. Jeffrey Smith, “Cautious Shift in Nuclear Arms,” Center for Public Integrity, June 20, 2013.
- R. Jeffrey Smith, “Obama Administration Embraces Major Nuclear Weapons Cuts,” Center for Public Integrity, February 8, 2013.
Possible Arms Control and Nonproliferation Efforts
- David Andre, “Competitive Strategies against Proliferation?” in Fighting Proliferation: New Concerns for the Nineties, ed. Henry Sokolski (Maxwell Air Force Base, AL: Air University Press, 1996), 257-276.
- Brian Chow and Albert Wohlstetter, “Arms Control that Could Work.” Wall Street Journal, July 17, 1985, in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 501-505.
- Deep Cuts Commission, “Preparing for Deep Cuts: Options for Enhancing Euro-Atlantic and International Security,” First Report of the Deep Cuts Commission (Hamburg: Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy, University of Hamburg, April 2014).
- Robert J. Einhorn, “Controlling Fissile Materials and Ending Nuclear Testing” (paper presented at the International Conference on Nuclear Disarmament, “Achieving the Vision of a World Free of Nuclear Weapons,” Oslo, Norway, February 26-27, 2008).
- Harold A. Feiveson, Alexander Glaser, Zia Mian, and Frank N. von Hippel, Unmaking the Bomb: A Fissile Material Approach to Nuclear Disarmament and Nonproliferation (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2014).
- Christopher A. Ford, “Five Plus Three: How to Have a Meaningful and Helpful Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty,” Arms Control Today 39, no. 3 (March 2009).
- Victor Gilinsky and Henry Sokolski, “Serious Rules for Nuclear Power without Proliferation,” in Moving Beyond Pretense: Nuclear Power and Nonproliferation, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2013), 457-499.
- Thomas W. Graham, “Nuclear Weapons Stability or Anarchy in the 21st Century: China, India and Pakistan,” in The Next Arms Race, ed. Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2012), 261-308.
- Hans M. Kristensen, “Will Trump Be Another Republican Nuclear Weapons Disarmer?” Federation of American Scientists, Strategic Security (Blog), November 9, 2016.
- George P. Schultz, William J. Perry, Henry Kissinger, and Sam Nunn, “Towards a Nuclear-Free World,” Wall Street Journal, January 15, 2008.
- Henry Sokolski, “Controlling the Further Spread of Nuclear Weapons” (working paper, Council on Foreign Relations, April 2010).
- White House Press Office, “Remarks by President Barack Obama,” Hradcany Square, Prague, Czech Republic, April 5, 2009.
- Also see the video of President Obama’s remarks and his Berlin Speech given June 19, 2013.
- Albert Wohlstetter, “Nuclear Triggers and Safety Catches, the ‘FSU’ and the ‘FSRs’” in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 374-377.
- Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, “On Arms Control: What We Should Look for in an Arms Agreement,” in Nuclear Heuristics: Selected Writings of Albert and Roberta Wohlstetter, ed. Robert Zarate and Henry Sokolski (Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute, 2009), 472-500.